Our unique Pockets Gardens are light weight, soil based garden pockets with eyelets for easy attachment to existing exterior surfaces.
Pocket Gardens are ideal for exterior application onto fences, wooden cladding, structures and retaining walls
Components of System and Materials
The system is a UV resistant, outer fabric, pocket garden which is the medium for holding the plants. The plants are planted into the unique, removable felt pocket in soil. The plants, in their felt pockets, are placed into the outer Hanging Garden pockets. The Hanging Gardens have eyelets to facilitate the securing to the vertical surface. The system has the following components:-
- 3 Pocket Hanging Gardens – an outer garden pocket
- Botanical felt pockets – our unique removable felt pockets
- Plants in soil in the pockets
- Eyelets for securing to the vertical surface
Standard Sizes and Configurations
- Horizontal 3 Pocket Gardens – Height : 400 mm. Width: 900 mm
- Vertical 3 Pocket Garden – Height 106 mm. Width 300 mm
- Depth: approx 200 mm when planted
- Weight / m2 : Approximately 35 kg per m2 when planted with standard potting mix and saturated.
Horizontal Pocket Garden Dimensions
Vertical Pocket Garden Dimensions
Accessories for each solution could include the following:-
- Irrigation system – to client requirements
- Plants – to client requirements
- Drip Trays – to client requirements
The Pocket Gardens are quick and easy to install using stainless steel or galvanised hex coach screws. The recommended horizontal eyelet spacing is 270 mm with a horizontal overlap of 100 mm and a vertical overlap of 200 mm.
Testing or Certification
The material of the outer bag is guaranteed in harsh UV light for 15 years
We work with a wide range of high quality plant suppliers around New Zealand and locally sourced, sustainable, New Zealand native plants as well as exotic plants, indoor plants and edible plants can be provided for specific requirements. All plants are pre-planted into their felt pockets and delivered to site ready to be placed into the Hanging Gardens.
Typically, the irrigation is designed for water conserving, automatic irrigation and the plants are drip fed. Drip feeding small amounts of water each week is water conserving and ideally uses stored rainwater from the roof. This approach delivers low operating costs, easy maintenance and water management benefits. Irrigation systems are designed for the site and environment with components as follows:-
- Vertical feeder pipes of 19 mm, horizontal feeder pipes of 13 mm and pressure compensating drippers or spray irrigation
- Mains water supply 2-5 bar pressure
- Automatic Controls:
- Battery or electrical automation
- Multiple timing zones with rain and moisture sensors
- The irrigation can be connected to a rainwater collection system and/or main supply.
As our gardens are soil based, they require very little maintenance and this delivers low operating costs. Typically for exterior NZ native gardens, recommended plant maintenance is bi-annual. For internal gardens, the maintenance will be dependent upon environmental conditions.