Ideal for covering existing or new interior walls where a waterproofed surface is possible.
Components of System and Materials
The system uses a UV resistant, outer fabric, 3 pocket garden as a medium for holding plants. The plants are planted into the unique, removable felt pocket in soil. The plants, in their felt pockets, are placed into the outer Hanging Garden pockets. The Hanging Gardens are suspended on 316 marine grade, stainless steel rods and the rods are suspended on 316 marine, grade stainless steel rigging wires, secured to the building structure with 316 marine grade fixtures and fittings. The system has the following components:-
Standard Sizes and Configurations
Our Living Wall System can be made to fit almost any size and the configuration is tailored to fit the design requirements.
- Height : Any height above 400 mm
- Width: Any width above 300 mm
- Depth: When planted – approx 180 mm
- Drip Tray – to client requirements
- Weight / m2 : Approximately 35 kg per m2 when planted with standard potting mix and saturated.
Living Walls are pre-assembled, without plants, ready for rapid suspension and securing to the vertical surface. All plants are delivered to site pre-planted in their felt pockets. Installation of the plants is in accordance with a Planting Plan. The automatic irrigation is pre-assembled and requires a standard connection to a mains water supply.
For interior walls, the design will take into account any waterproofing requirements.
Site measurement is generally undertaken prior to manufacture. Any wall penetration and fixing detail is designed according to substrate, building design and engineering requirements.
Accessories for each solution could include the following:-
- Drip Trays – to client requirements
- Flashing – to clients requirements – any colour, size
- Rainwater collection from the roof
- Slim-line water storage tanks, pumps and inline filters
Testing or Certification Information
All stainless steel is certified 316. The material of outer bag is guaranteed in harsh UV light for 15 years. PS1 to PS4 is available upon request.
We work with a wide range of high quality plant suppliers around New Zealand and locally sourced, sustainable, New Zealand native plants as well as exotic plants, indoor plants and edible plants can be provided for specific requirements:-
- Interior plants for low, medium and good light situations
- Exterior plants for North, South, East or West facing sites as well as for high wind, coastal environments.
All plants are pre-planted into their felt pockets and delivered to site ready to be placed into the Hanging Gardens.
Plant Coverage – Plants can be chosen as follows:
- Established plants – Maximum coverage as planted
- Juvenile plants – Minimum coverage as planted
- Narrow profile plants
Soil type can be selected for specific plant species:
- Standard – General container mix
- Upon Request – Acidic soil, alkaline soil, light weight soil
Typically, the irrigation is designed for water conserving, automatic irrigation and the plants are drip fed. Drip feeding small amounts of water each week is water conserving and ideally uses stored rainwater from the roof. This approach delivers low operating costs, easy maintenance and water management benefits. Irrigation systems are designed for the site and environment with components as follows:-
- Vertical feeder pipes of 19 mm, horizontal feeder pipes of 13 mm and pressure compensating drippers or spray irrigation
- Mains water supply 2-5 bar pressure
- Automatic Controls:
- Battery or electrical automation
- Multiple timing zones with rain and moisture sensors
- The irrigation can be connected to a rainwater collection system and/or main supply.
As our gardens are soil based and not hydroponic, they require very little maintenance and this delivers low operating costs. Typically for exterior NZ native gardens, recommended plant maintenance is bi-annual. For internal gardens, the maintenance will be dependent upon environmental conditions.