Botanical Pocket Gardens for exterior application
Our unique Pockets Gardens are light weight, soil based garden pockets with eyelets for easy attachment to existing exterior surfaces.
The outer material of the garden is guaranteed for 15 years and is simply a mechanism for holding the plants in the vertical situation. The critical element of our systems is our unique and removable felt pockets. These provide good soil depth, retain a high degree of moisture and keep the roots aerated to ensure plant health. Once planted in their felt pockets, the plants can be moved and swapped about without damaging the plant. This provides for easy maintenance to keep the garden looking stunning throughout the seasons.
Pocket Garden are ideal for exterior application where the gardens can be screwed onto fences, wooden cladding, retaining walls and other structures
Components of System and Materials
The Pocket Garden has a UV resistant, outer fabric which serves to hold the plants. The plants are planted into the unique, removable felt pocket in soil. The plants, in their felt pockets, are placed into the outer Hanging Garden pockets and can be swapped about without damaging the plant.
The Pocket Gardens have the following components:-
- 3 Pocket Gardens – with eyelets for securing to the vertical surface
- Botanical felt pockets – our unique removable felt pockets
- Plants in soil in the pockets
Standard Sizes and Configurations
- Horizontal 3 Pocket Gardens – Height : 400 mm. Width: 900 mm
- Vertical 3 Pocket Garden – Height 106 mm. Width 300 mm
- Depth: approx 200 mm when planted
- Weight / m2 : Approximately 35 kg per m2 when planted with standard potting mix and saturated.
The Pocket Gardens are quick and easy to install using stainless steel or galvanised hex coach screws.
The recommended horizontal eyelet spacing is 270 mm with a horizontal overlap of 100 mm and a vertical overlap of 200 mm.
The material of the outer bag is guaranteed in harsh UV light for 15 years
Accessories for each solution could include the following:-
- Irrigation system – to client requirements
- Plants – to client requirements
- Drip Trays – to client requirements
We work with a wide range of high quality plant suppliers around New Zealand and locally sourced, sustainable, New Zealand native plants as well as exotic plants, indoor plants and edible plants can be provided for specific requirements. All plants are pre-planted into their felt pockets and delivered to site ready to be placed into the Hanging Gardens.
The irrigation systems are designed for the site and environment and can be connected to a rainwater collection system and/or main supply.
A typical installation will use :-
- a 20mm tap with mains water pressure of between 2-5 bar
- a battery or electrical controller with single or multiple zones
- 19 mm vertical feeder pipes and 13 mm horizontal feeder pipes
- pressure compensating drippers or spray irrigation
- Rainwater collection and storage
Drip feeding is water conserving and delivers low operating costs, easy maintenance and water management benefits.
As our gardens are soil based, they require very little maintenance and this delivers low operating costs. Typically for exterior NZ native gardens, recommended plant maintenance is bi-annual. For internal gardens, the maintenance will be dependent upon environmental conditions.